Wednesday 19 March 2014

Gaming Progress Report - March 19, 2014


Castlevania - Lords of Shadow:

Been playing this on and off for weeks now, mainly basing my playtimes on whether or not my PC wants to recognize that my PS3 controller is plugged in or not. As a rule I tend to dislike spectacle fighter action games like this, stuff like God of War and Darksiders have always bored or frustrated me to the point that I don't finish them, but somehow this one held onto me til the end and then some.

I think it must have been a combination of the setting and the incredible music, but I powered through and finished not only the main game, but both DLCs. Unfortunately, the DLCs were kind of weak with the 2nd one being downright infuriating (I died more in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd DLC than I did throughout the whole of the main game), but they were important top finish to see the whole story.



Warhammer 40000 - Dawn of War II Gold Edition:

I'd been wanting to play this game for ages now, after getting a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of the original Dawn of War and its expansions. I was somewhat wary when I heard that they'd removed the base building aspects of the game (that being probably my favourite part of any RTS), but so far it's been fun enough and I've cleared the main game and moved on to the expansion. I've heard that the 2nd expansion helps a bit with the whole being locked to a squad for an entire mission thing, so we'll see when I decide to pick that one up.

The way the missions are handled is kind of cool, sort of a mix between the two styles of the original Dawn of War, but I'm not big on the infinitely repeating defensive missions, and the whole corruption system in Chaos Rising seems more like a pain in the ass than anything else. So far I've managed to keep my entire team pure, but so few decent weapons and armor drop, and it feels like whenever a really good upgrade does appear it's always corrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment